Do You need New Awnings?
Signs You need New Awnings
Let’s begin first with warmest holiday wishes to our customers and vendors! During the holiday season more than ever, our thoughts turn gratefully to those who have made our progress possible. In this spirit, we at C and C Canvas & Awnings, simply and sincerely want to Thank You all and wish you a wonder filled Holiday Season and the Happiest of New Years! And now, on with this month’s blog.
The foundation of awnings and canvas shade structures are made from specialty fabrics. Over time, these fabrics can fade, tear, rip - or especially in South Florida - can even grow mildew and mold. It’s essential that you take care of your awnings, or patio covers. If you haven’t been inspecting them monthly and you’ve had your awnings for several years, it is probably time to inspect them for wear and tear and to see if they need to be replaced
Plus, inspecting your shade structure on a regular basis – hint, hint, monthly - will help your investment last much longer. Below we have listed some things you should look for when deciding if you need to replace your awnings and/or shade structures:
- Rips and Tears: Small rips and tears can be fixed. However, your awnings have multiple or even a single large rip or tear, chances a that it might be time for replacements.
- Mold & Mildew: With regular cleaning, your awning will last. But if you see mold and mildew growing, and you can’t get rid of it, it is definitely time to get a new awning. In South Florida, molds and mildews can not only be damaging to the awnings, they could also pose a health hazard. Many manufacturers offer fabrics that carry a 10-year warranty against fading, mold, rot, and mildew. For example, many Sunbrella fabrics are considered to be the best outdoor fabrics available on the market today, plus they offer a full selection of patterns and colors.
- Structural Damage: Another sign that you might need replacements would be if your awnings’ frames are damaged. The frame is the structural basis for your awning and therefore is critically important to the overall health of your awnings.
- Fading: Many awning fabrics have fade resistant qualities. If the color of your shade structure is fading, it could be a sign that the fade resistant features have worn away and it might be time to think about a getting a new awning with the latest enhancements for fade resistance.
- Scratches: if you have a business that utilizes vinyl curtains, you won’t want customers to see worn out fabrics. Multiple scratches are very unattractive and can actually discourage customers from entering your place of business. Multiple scratches are a sure sign that it is time for replacement awnings.
- Loosened Tension: If you have a shade sail or other tension structure and it’s losing its tension, you might want to see if you need to have it fixed or replaced.
- Fraying: Fraying is very different from rips and tears. Fraying occurs when the fabric starts to come apart or is worn at the edges. There aren’t any real ways to repair fraying, so if you are seeing that in your awning fabric, it is time for a replacement.
A reminder: Cleaning and caring for your awnings and canvas structures is the best way to extend your investment. If you have questions about whether or not it is time to replace your awnings, call C and C Canvas & Awnings for answers
Door & Window Awnings
For more information about awnings and other shade structures, contact us today. You can also call us if you have any questions at 772-221-8847 in Stuart. Whether you live in Stuart, Palm City, Sewalls Point, Golden Gate, Jensen Beach, Port Salerno, Port St. Lucie, Hobe Sound, Jupiter, Tequesta, Palm Beach Gardens, or North Palm Beach FL, we are available to discuss all your shading options today.