RESIDENTIAL & COMMERICAL AWNINGS in Jupiter Florida
Jupiter is a town located in Palm Beach County, Florida. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 39,328. As of 2006, the population had grown to 50,028, according to the University of Florida, Bureau of Economic and Business Research.Jupiter is well known for its beauty and beaches. It is often referred to as a “beach town” and has become a popular vacation spot. Manycelebrities own homes in Jupiter, Florida.
The area where the town now sits was originally named for the Hobe Indian tribe which lived at the mouth of the Loxahatchee River, and whose name is also preserved in the name of nearby Hobe Sound.A mapmaker misunderstood the Spanish spelling ‘Jobe’ of the Indian name ‘Hobe’ and recorded it as ‘Jove’. Subsequent mapmakers further misunderstood this to be the Latin translation of the god Jupiter, and they anglicized the name from Jove to ‘Jupiter.’ The Roman god Jupiter (or Zeus in the Greek mythology) is the chief Roman god, husband of Juno, and god of light, of the sky and weather, and of the state and its welfare and its laws. It inspired a neighboring village to name itself, “Juno Beach”. The most notable landmark is the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse, completed in 1860. Made of brick, it was painted red in 1910 due to discoloration caused by humidity. Hurricane Jeanne in 2004 sandblasted the paint from the upper portion of the tower, and the tower was repainted using a potassium silicate mineral coating. The lighthouse is often used as the symbol for Jupiter.
Points of interest
- Jupiter Lighthouse
- Jupiter is the home to the Florida Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals spring training facilities as well as one of their respective Class A Minor League Baseball affiliates, the Jupiter Hammerheads and Palm Beach Cardinals. They share the use of the Roger Dean Stadium complex. Both minor league squads compete in the Florida State League.
- William P. Gwinn Airport is located in Jupiter.
- Jupiter is home to Florida Atlantic University’s MacArthur Campus. This northern campus of FAU is also the location of the Harriet L. Wilkes Honors College
- Palm Beach International Raceway a racing facility built in 1965, and was remodeled in 2008 in and attempt to obtain a FIA Grade II Certification. The Facility currently host severalIHRA and NHRA sportsman events as well as an ARCA Remax Series Event
- The Scripps Research Institute has opened a satellite campus adjacent to the MacArthur Campus of Florida Atlantic University in Jupiter. Approximately 360 scientists and technical staff operate in a 350,000-square-foot (33,000 m2) state of the art research facility. Scripps Florida focuses on the development of therapeutic opportunities in several disease areas.
- LORAN-C transmitter Jupiter
- Burt Reynolds & Friends Museum, home of the Florida Film & Theater Institute.
- Busch Wildlife Sanctuary , a non-profit, educational based care facility for injured wild animals.