Get Adobe Flash player

RESIDENTIAL & COMMERICAL AWNINGS in Hobe Sound Florida

Hobe Sound is an unincorporated area and census-designated place (CDP) in Martin County, Florida, United States. The population was 11,376 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Port St. Lucie Metropolitan Statistical Area. Geography and climate Hobe Sound is located at *27°04?36?N 80°08?31?W. Hobe Sound is an exurban area in southern Martin County near the Atlantic Ocean. It stretches along the coast between Port Salerno and Jonathan Dickinson State Park but does include Jupiter Island. Its western border is not clearly defined though most development drops off only a few miles inland at Powerline Road. According to the United States Census Bureau, Hobe Sound has a total area of 5.7 square miles (14.8 km2)— 5.5 square miles (14.1 km2) of it is land and 0.3 square miles (0.7 km2) of it (4.71%) is water.
Hobe Sound has a subtropical climate. The average high in January is 74 °F; in July and August it is 90 °F. History The name of Hobe Sound comes from the name of the Jove or Jobe Indians, one of the Native American groups that lived in the area before European settlement. The Spanish pronounced the name “Ho-bay,” which has evolved into the current name “Hobe” (which sounds like “robe”). The earliest recorded European contact occurred in 1696 when a British ship, the barkentine (three-masted ship) Reformation, sailing from Jamaica to Philadelphia sank close to the shore north of Jupiter Inlet, carrying 25 passengers and crew and a cargo of sugar, rum, beef, molasses, and Spanish currency. The small Quaker party, including its most notable passenger, Jonathan Dickinson, encountered and received aid from the Jove Indians. Hobe Sound received its name by 1699, according to the Florida WPA Guide. Parts of Hobe Sound were included in the 12,000 acres (49 km2) of the Gomez grant given by Spain to Don Eusebio in 1815. In 1821, Gomez sold 8,000 acres (32 km2), including Jupiter Island, to Joseph Delespine for $1 per acre. Shortly after the turn of the 20th century, Henry Flagler built his railroad along the east coast of Florida passing through Hobe Sound.
This gradually created many opportunities including jobs, the birth of tourism, and other related industries. During the land boom of the 1920s elaborate plans were announced for Hobe Sound by the Olympia Improvement Corporation. Their goal was to create a town, in Greek style, where motion pictures could be produced. Street names bore the Greek theme with names such as Zeus, Saturn, Mercury, Mars, Olympus, Pluto and Athena. For a brief time Hobe Sound was renamed “Picture City” and plans were presented for a movie picture production center. The boom collapsed after the 1928 Okeechobee hurricane and the original name was restored. Street names remained, however, as did the cement streetlights along Dixie Highway. In 1924, the building which soon would become the new schoolhouse in Hobe Sound was constructed. The Martin County Board of Public Instruction secured the use of the new school building from the Picture City Corporation in 1925, and in October of that year, the Olympia School opened. The school was designated the “Picture City School” of Martin County. It remained in use as a school until 1962.

CONTACT (772) 221-8847

Name

E-mail

Telephone

Message

Need a call?  yes no
captcha copy:

C & C Canvas Awning Co.
3181 SE Slater Street
Stuart, Fl. 34997

Phone: 772-221-8847
Fax: 772-221-1515